Affordable, Safe and Effective Weight Loss
Until now, medical devices for weight loss meant invasive abdominal surgery or temporary placement of a balloon in the stomach with an endoscope (down the throat) requiring removal after six months .
Experts agree that affordability, ease of use and reliable progress monitoring are critical attributes for a weight loss therapy to achieve widespread use. Scientific Intake's patented, clinically validated Sensor Monitored Alimentary Restriction Therapy (SmartByte®) provides safe, affordable dietary restriction for the BMI 27 to 35 population. SmartByte® restricts intake at the gateway to the body without side effects . The removable device is placed in the palate when eating and modifies behavior in five ways:
- Smaller bites result in slower eating.
- It requires more chewing (oral processing) of food before swallowing.
- SmartByte® makes "gulping" food difficult.
- Slowing eating permits more savoring of the taste, smell and texture of food.
- Slowing intake allows time to trigger the body's satiety response, so fewer calories are consumed to feel satisfied.
SmartByte® users feel full before overeating.
Our proprietary embedded microsensor automatically records compliance and progress to goal weight via a secure website that is accessible by patients, and, if desired, their support group and health care professional.
SmartByte® is designated as a Class I medical device in Canada, UK, Europe, Brazil and Australia. SmartByte® is currently under review at The U.S. Food and Drug Administration and is not commercially available in the United States.