Affordable, Safe and Effective Weight Loss
Until now, medical devices for weight loss meant invasive abdominal surgery or temporary placement of a balloon in the stomach with an endoscope (down the throat) requiring removal after six months .
Experts agree that affordability, ease of use and reliable progress monitoring are critical attributes for a weight loss therapy to achieve widespread use. Scientific Intake's patented, clinically validated Sensor Monitored Alimentary Restriction Therapy (SMART Weight Loss™) provides safe, affordable dietary restriction for the BMI 27 to 35 population. The SMART device restricts intake at the gateway to the body without side effects . The removable device is placed in the palate when eating and modifies behavior in five ways:
- Smaller bites result in slower eating.
- It requires more chewing (oral processing) of food before swallowing.
- The SMART Device makes "gulping" food difficult.
- Slowing eating permits more savoring of the taste, smell and texture of food.
- Slowing intake allows time to trigger the body's satiety response, so fewer calories are consumed to feel satisfied.
SMART users feel full before overeating.
Our proprietary embedded microsensor automatically records compliance and progress to goal weight via a secure website that is accessible by patients, and, if desired, their support group and health care professional.
The SMART™ Device is designated as a Class I medical device in Canada, UK, Europe, Brazil and Australia. The SMART™ Device is currently under review at The U.S. Food and Drug Administration and is not commercially available in the United States.